Monday, June 28, 2010

Baby Orphanage

This morning we visited an orphanage. It was very sad. This was an orphanage for babies ages newborn to 2. It was a home and there were about 20-25 babies all of which have been abandoned for various reasons. Some of them were left somewhere, some of them given from teenage mothers, and many of them from mothers who have died. We had an opportunity to visit and feed the babies for about an hour or so. It was an experience I will never forget. It was so sad. I was on the verge of tears the whole time I was there. I kept imagining that it was my 10 month baby boy lying there on the padded floor with all of the other babies. These babies were all starved for attention. At one point I have one baby on my lap and three others walked up to play with me because I was giving them all high fives. It was a wonderful feeling to make them smile. After feeding a newborn baby she fell asleep and I put her to bed in her little craddle in a room with 4 other newborns. It seemed as if the only attention the newborns got was when they are fed, then they are placed back into their craddle. There were about 4-5 women there taking care of the babies and they do the best they can but you can only imagine how difficult it must be for 4-5 women to watch 20-25 newborns. I wish that they had more help, I wish that they had better resources. Unfortunatly they did not allow us to take any pictures which I completely understand, but even without a picture I will never forget these babies.

5 comments:

  1. Wow.... Im sure that was really hard. I wish you could bring some home with you. Every baby deserves someone who loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh just hearing that breaks my heart, I imagine a lot of the world is like that, its very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, what an experience! I agree with Joyce, I wish you could bring some babies home with you. I've been catching up on your posts and it looks like you are having the trip of a lifetime!! I can't believe that you were so close to those exotic animals! I'm excited to hear all about your trip and see more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha, Jamie... what I was really going to say in my post was "I wish you could bring some home with you- Jamie and I will adopt them".. ha ha!! I know if we were there, we would sign up to take them home with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an experience. I would have been so upset, too. Unfortunately if babies aren't given enough human contact they can have serious problems as they grow up OR they can die.
    Breaks my heart! Hopefully they will get to go to loving homes soon.

    ReplyDelete